Sunday, November 29, 2015

A Place Apart: Nature






Late in the fall one year, I hiked up steep switchbacks for two hours from the valley floor to Glacier Point in Yosemite. The wilderness was surprisingly quiet and still at 8,000 feet.

A forest of sugar pines was behind me. In front was Half Dome and a view that stretched over the gray granite peaks and domes of the Sierra Nevada Mountains

No one else was here. The summer crowds had gone home months before. A few tiny people walked around on the valley floor far below. Except for a few squirrels and one Steller’s jay, no other creatures were letting their presence be known.

The breeze hummed lightly as it twirled the needles on the pines. There was a hush as the wind flowed over the nearby mountains on its way east. Now and then when the breeze shifted, I caught the sounds of Nevada and Vernal Falls.


Sitting on a boulder, this felt like home. I couldn’t stay here, of course. There was no shelter, food, or water, yet I felt connected to something authentic, something real in a primal sense, something eternal.

Was it awe of the landscape that pulled me away from my ordinary preoccupations and made me think of mystery? Was it reverence for a place that was sacred to the Ahwahnechee, as well as to John Muir? Or was it respect for an ancient wilderness that had existed and looked like this for thousands of years?

It was probably all of these. I didn’t really need to know the why. Whatever it is, every time I come here, the burdens of life slide off and I feel centered and renewed.

Standing alone on top of a mountain, longing rose for something deeper than what everyday life has brought. It was longing for honest community, enduring hope, and unfettered joy.


In the wilderness of our hearts, the holidays are rooted.

No comments:

Post a Comment