Sunday, May 8, 2016

Walking

Out walking this morning, I’m shocked to find that nature has gotten along just fine without me. This time I’m not heading into the woods. I’m walking on the streets of my neighborhood.

I haven’t been outside for a week, not really, being busy with tasks inside the house. I don’t count driving to the store as being outdoors. The car is just a mobile room.

In the meantime, the leaves have popped out on trees and converted their empty branches to umbrellas of thick green. Bushes and plants are flowering, and birds are filling the air with chirps, chortles, whistles, and songs.

It’s energizing to be outdoors, breathing fresh air and watching the trees around me move and sway in the breeze. I remember that I am part of the natural world and not the other way around.

As my walking settles into a rhythm, my breathing speeds up to match the pace of my legs. My thoughts slow down to move at the pace of my breathing. Mind and body reconnect, unlike when I sit at my desk and work with my mind, ignoring the needs of my body until I stand up stiff, hungry, and dehydrated.

I walk without any destination. There are no stores or cafes in my neighborhood. And I walk without worrying if I’m moving fast enough for this to count as exercise.

I try not to think about the projects waiting for me at home, and just walk, noticing what catches my attention, what thoughts show up on their own, what feelings surface, and let them flow by. I walk free of everything but what is in this moment, and I move at whatever speed feels right.

As I walk, I loosen the ligaments of my brain that I’ve strapped down to get work done. I let thoughts and feelings run and play. I marvel at the balanced architecture of an oak tree, bend down and examine the pink and lavender colors of Virginia bluebells, see a hollow at the base of a tree and imagine a hobbit or a Keebler elf living there. When I notice a squirrel watching me, I stare at it to see which one of us blinks first.


It’s irresponsible, I know, to walk with no purpose other than joy. But I do. People nod as I pass by, wondering where I’m going and why I’m walking. They have no clue that I’ve escaped and on the loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment