Sunday, June 7, 2015

Losing Track of Wonder

When did I learn not to see? After a week in the wilderness, I am no longer in awe of the majesty of the mountains rising up around me. 

Why did I forget how to taste? After the third day, I eat strawberries more for their nutrition than their fresh and exciting flavor. They tasted exotic on the first day.

A song moves me to tears on the first hearing. Then it becomes familiar and comforting. Then it’s nostalgic. Then quaint. What changed about the music?

I’m excited to discover what is new, what exists outside my expectations and knowledge. Sometimes I experience the unexpected at the exact moment that I need it to show up. Sometimes what is new is something that I’ve been searching for for years, even though I did not know what it was.

How do I keep my wonder for the same beauty, the same grace, the same love if I experience it day after day? 

If I wake up each morning expecting nothing, then everything is a surprise and I am filled with gratitude.


If I pay attention, I will realize the mountain is changing with the seasons. I will see that you are growing, and the wonder of your love is moving deeper into me every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment